In a household with children, it seems that--although we like to say we are pretty laid back--time is very important to us. Having a routine is helpful to having twin babies. When we rely on it, we are able to manage feeding times, sleeping times, and outings. However, this precious resource seems scarce these days. There doesn't seem to be enough time in any day, and my babies are growing up too fast. For almost a month, Allan and I looked forward to our anniversary vacation that would happen in the beginning of June. We had a wonderful time at Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. When we came back after just two days, I realized that, as I was distracted by my anticipation, the whole month of May was swept from under my feet. Suddenly my babies are almost eleven months old, and I will soon need to send out invitations for their first birthday party. Really? Well, everyone always told me "they grow up too fast." They weren't kidding.
Watching my babies grow up has been so much fun, though! Lately they have been getting into a lot of things as their desire to explore the world grows. They just want to touch and see everything! Yesterday, I set Sayla down so I could go to the bathroom really quick before we left. But to set her down next to the diaper bag was a bad idea. She got into it, opened the jar of Vaseline, stuck her whole fist inside of it...and ate it. Haha!! It was only two minutes. See. Everything is just a matter of time. Poison control said it's not harmful; it's just a laxative. That could have been anything, though! Phew! Thank God it wasn't worse.
It's crazy to think that they are old enough to plan ahead and be manipulative. They both have meltdowns when they don't get what they want. They will look at me to see if I'm watching them before they do something they aren't supposed to. They know when they are doing something bad, and lately when I tell Brynna no, she does a fake cry (because the real cry got me the first time). She is such a little stinker, but she's so much fun! She has fascinations lately. One is pulling the diapers off the changing table one by one. She inspects them, and sometimes she will throw one over her shoulder like it was no good. She also loves doorknobs for some reason, and screams when she can't touch one. Brynna also loves books! It is so adorable to see little Brynna sitting in the middle of the floor looking at the pictures and trying to turn the pages. Every once and a while she will bring a book over to us and try to sit in our laps.
Sayla is a little more verbally advanced than her sister. She says some word, but I'm not sure what it means yet. It sounds like "Ote". Allan tries to get her to say "Dada" on command, but she responds with "Ace", our dog's name. She is the one who mimics a lot. They are both sweet in their own ways. While Brynna loves to pat you and give kisses, Sayla is cuddly. I love picking Sayla up in the morning and she just clings on like a little monkey. Sayla also has a strong attachment to her bear blankie, and if she doesn't have it at bedtime...well...it's bad news.
They are also saying and learning knew things. They both say "Hi" which sometimes ends with a "t". They wave and clap. They both rub the back of their hand on their mouth to make the "babababa" sound. Adorable when they do it together! They are learning the Uh-Oh game (when someone drops something). So far Brynna just says "OOOOhhhhhh" and Sayla says "EE-Ohhh!" If I tell Brynna "good job" Sayla will clap for her (but she mostly claps for herself.) They love the chasing game, where I say "I'm gonna get you", then they crawl away slowly to be sure I can catch them. Sayla is still learning how to stand on her own and practices every day. Brynna has started to try, but doesn't have as much of an interest in that as she does climbing. Simply holding Brynna quickly turns into an upside down piggy back ride because she wants to crawl down your back. Haha! My little crazy kids. I can only imagine how much more fun it will get when they start learning more things.
I get to experience these things by staying at home. However, I sometimes think that staying home makes me feel like I'm limiting myself. I don't like to feel that way. Allan and I are talking about ways I can work from home, since affording daycare for two babies seems impossible at this point. It would also boost my spirits to feel like I'm contributing to our financial well-being. I would love to start with photography, but who knows. To me it seems the only way to find out which way to go is by praying and listening. Until we make a decision, I'll keep enjoying my babies as much as I can before this month slips away from me too. In one month, they will be a year old. Toddlers? No way. They will always be my little babies.
No comments:
Post a Comment